I came across this recipe which is quite famous in American-Chinese cuisine, the General Tso’s Chicken. I had all the ingredients and fresh fish fingers on hand so i thought, why not. So i simply replaced the chicken with the fish and it turned out delicious. I could have probably devoured the entire dish myself if given the chance.
Oh and you know, according to wikipedia the dish is named after Tso Tsung-t’ang, a Qing dynasty military leader. But guess what?! there is no recorded connection to him nor is the dish known in Tso’s home province. Ha! well in my 10 minute research about him i did learn that he was a successful leader and was admired by the generals that came after him. Great!
Lets get down to admiring this delicious dish now. You should really try this recipe for a quick, easy meal and yet so flavorful.
I know, i know i took a quick shot because i was too hungry and couldn’t resist eating this any longer. I have no self control, sigh!
1. fish fingers, cubed – 1/2 kg
Marinate with: 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp pepper, 1 tsp soya sauce, 1 tsp lemon juice, beaten egg and 1 tblsp cornflour
For the sauce:
1. soya sauce – 2 tblsp
2. tomato ketchup – 2 tblsp
3. vinegar – 1 tblsp
4. brown sugar – 1 tsp
5. red chilli flakes – 1 tsp
6. chinese salt – 1/2 tsp
7. chicken stock/fish stock OR water – 1/2 cup
8. spring onions – 2 stalks, chopped up
9. garlic cloves – 2, minced
10. ginger, 1 tblsp, finely chopped
11. oil – 2-3 tblsp
12. cornflour – 1 tblsp, for thickening if required
13. toasted sesame seeds for garnish
– marinate the fish for about 30 mins.
– Fry it in shallow oil. Just cook until both sides are colored, dont over cook it. It should only take a minute or 2. Drain and set aside.
– to make the sauce: combine soya sauce, ketchup, vinegar, brown sugar, red chilli flakes, chinese salt in a bowl. mix it up, add water, mix and set aside.
– Heat oil in a wok or any pan you want to use. Add in the garlic and ginger. saute for a few seconds until aromatic, dont let it turn golden. Add the sauce mix and let it simmer and cook until it thickens up a bit.
– Add the spring onions. If you thick the sauce is too watery add some cornflour mixed in water. once you think the consistency is right, add the fried fish and mix to coat it up.
– Let it simmer for a minute and then dish it out.
– Garnish with sesame seeds and serve with rice.