Some days are so out of control, you just feel like you are drowning and this is it, the worst in you is here to stay and survival seems doubtful. That’s when I’m absolutely convinced that i need therapy. But you know what, besides baking I think retail therapy would do just fine. Although I’m convinced that I pretty much qualify as a bakeaholic, but I’m not really a shopaholic. But once in a while bingeing is totally fine with me. That’s what momma’s do to stay healthy and sane – trust me, it works.
Here’s my top 5 purchases from the year 2014:
1. These little mini tart pans were love at first sight. They are my favorite pans to use when I’m taste testing pie crusts and cakes.
2. These 6 double sided cookie cutters are the most versatile & helpful in the kitchen. I use these cutters for cookies, fondant, mini cakes and donuts.
3. This Oven Thermometer is my MOST used tool in the kitchen. I’m a little obsessed with precision, so just cant do without this.
4. Lately I had been experimenting with different bread dough and when i saw this baguette pan, I just had to buy it. Just looking at it makes me want to bake bread and of course also looks more professional.
5. Last but not the least this Wilton Rolling Pin is definitely my top 5. Besides rolling fondant, i use it for pie crusts, puff pastry and cookies all the time. Psst..I’m not much of a fondant person, but if that’s what the kids want, then that’s what the kids get. Sucha good momma, right!
What’s your most favorite and useful tool in the kitchen? would love to know 🙂
In the past 5 years since being a momma, I’ve faced many types of “ME” – there are faces of me that i didn’t even know existed. I think a lot of mothers would nod their heads in agreement with me saying that my kids bring out the best and worst in me. I guess that comes with the package. Can’t believe that over JUST 5 years, we have added smiles, tears, laughter and loads of memories ( and millions more to come) to my treasure. Well i will take that as my reward for all the sleepless nights and stressful days. Now, why not celebrate his 5th birthday and me surviving these 5 years of mommy-hood – a fun, scary, sweet and unpredictable roller coaster ride. Birthdays are of course just the right reason to celebrate and bake some cake.
That’s when i go into planning mode and trust me I go into planning mode a lot. As a mother at times it feels like I’m not doing enough, I’m not the best momma…of course I have my low moments often but honestly, as mothers we do a lot for our kids every single day, we take every chance we can to cheer them up…but I’m thinking i want to do something a little more that would light up his face on his day. What more could a mother want, right?!
So onto the birthday cake. I baked him one in hopes that he will love and remember it. These days he’s into super heroes, mimicking them and being them. So, it was a mini superhero themed birthday and the fun in it for me was baking the cake and doing the decorations myself. A lot of work but oh so satisfying and totally worth all the effort. My boy was ecstatic. He loved it all…well, except actually eating the cake. Sadly these kids no nothing about good food…hmph. Imagine, my boy doesn’t eat CAKE! Shocking.
Voila! It was my first attempt at fondant, which turned out pretty well. My boy totally digged the superhero theme. The cake was a moist chocolate cake with a layer of chocolate butter cream enveloping it. Plus the absolutely yum vanilla cupcakes with slightly coffee flavored vanilla frosting topped with OREO crumbs. Ahh, satisfying.