A light & fluffy banana muffin with a delicious cinnamon and brown sugar streusel topping! Trust me, they’re a perfect start to a day. The cinnamon and brown sugar topping is really what makes these rather ordinary banana muffins stand out. The crunch from the topping with the softness of the cake makes these a winner.
In fact all banana baked goodies are my favorite and easiest way of putting those dying bananas to good use. And I’m sure it passes as a healthy treat…it has fruit in it right?! 🙂
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 large bananas, mashed
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
For the Crumb top:
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoon butter, room temperature but not too soft.
- 2 tablespoon of your favorite chopped nuts (optional)
- Start by preheating the oven to 375°F or about 190°C. And then lightly grease a muffin tray or line them up with paper cups.
- Take a large bowl and then mix together 1 ½ cups flour, salt, baking soda and baking powder. In a separate bowl, beat bananas, sugar, egg and melted butter. Next, stir the banana mixture into the flour mixture.
- Mix together into a batter. Spoon the batter into prepared muffin cups.
- For the topping whisk together the flour, sugar, salt, cinnamon and nuts (if using) in a mixing bowl.
Add the butter and use your fingers to rub into the dry ingredients until the mixture is crumbly and the butter is well incorporated.
- Now sprinkle this streusel topping over the muffins.
- Place the muffin tray into the oven and bake for 20 minutes. Insert a toothpick into the center to check if they’re ready.
- cool on a wire rack and enjoy!
– Keep at room temperature.
– Best consumed the same day.