Do you ever get crazy cravings out of the blue?…I do! This is one of those desserts (more like a breakfast dessert) that i just HAD to make. Plus having an extra loaf of bread in the refrigerator was my perfect motivation.
It’s a very simple straightforward recipe for a bread pudding. You can whip this up pretty easily if you have leftover bread (any kind of bread will do) and some milk and eggs. To fancy it up, serve with whipped cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
. 6-8 slices day old bread (or enough bread chunks to fill up a 10″ x 10″ dish/pan).
. 2 tblsp butter, melted
. 1/4 cup raisins (optional)
. 3 eggs
. 2 cups milk
. 1/3 cup sugar
. 1/4 tsp cinnamon powder
. 1 tsp vanilla extract
INGREDIENTS FOR TOPPING SAUCE:
. 1 cup milk
. 2 tblsp butter
. 3 tblsp brown sugar
. 1 tblsp flour
. pinch of salt
1. Preheat oven to 175c
2. Lightly butter the pan or dish you are using
3. Tear or cut up the bread into bite size pieces; spread it out in the pan.
4. Drizzle butter over it and sprinkle raisins if you are using them.
5. In another bowl, combine eggs, milk,sugar,cinnamon and vanilla. Beat well until combined.
6. Pour this pudding mixture over the bread and lightly push down with a fork until the bread is covered with the liquid.
7. Bake for around 60 minutes or until set (there shouldn’t be any runny stuff at the bottom).
DIRECTIONS FOR SAUCE:
1. Mix everything together in a saucepan.
2. Bring to boil and keep whisking it.
3. When it starts to thicken and becomes all nice and smooth take it off the heat. Set aside.
4. Spoon over warm pudding before serving.